Thursday, October 14, 2010

Color


One of my favorite things about fall is the changing of the leaves. True, south Texas has a lot of evergreens -oak, pine, magnolia - but we do have our share of deciduous. I don't know what they are all called, but I do like the ornamental pears. I love the red leaves as we get deeper into the season.

We transplanted one from my parents' yard a couple of years ago. It wasn't much more than a seedling. Last year is was still growing. This year, it looks like a real tree, and I have high hopes for it changing color.

Five years ago, we planted a red maple and green ash in the back yard. I didn't do my homework on the maple. The red just referred to the stems and new leaf buds. They just turn yellow and fall off, instead of the beautiful orange and red other maples go. The ash has turned out to be a good tree. It is growing well and will give good shade in a few more years. It even survived the dogs stripping the bark off the trunk!

No comments: